
What do you think about marriage?
Alex and I have had a lot of discussion around the importance of marriage and family during the past few months as we have volunteered time supporting Proposition 8 and the Coalition to Protect Traditional Marriage. Our Saturdays and free time have been spent making phone calls and walking door-to-door to let people know what Prop 8 is and how we feel about the importance of families.
For those of you outside of California, here is a little info on Proposition 8:
It is an amendment to the California state constitution to define marriage as being between one man and one woman.
Back in 2000, over 61% of Californians passed a similar amendment to define marriage as stated above. Two months ago, four Supreme Court judges in San Francisco overturned the people's vote and made same-sex marriage legal in the state of California.
How sneaky! I didn't even know they could do that!
I know similar propositions are happening in Arizona and other states, so this really is an issue.
Here are a few of my feelings:
When I first heard that this was going to be in the elections this November, I knew I had to take an active part in making sure it passes. I had to do more than just vote. Alex and I spent several weeks studying Christ's teachings about the importance of family. I have not been politically involved in anything before, but for some reason, this is something that has become very important to me.
I really believe that children are entitled to be born to a mother and father who have committed themselves to each other through marriage. Men and women have unique parenting qualities that are important in rearing children. I know marriage between a man and woman is ordained of God.
Proposition 8 is about protecting the sanctity and importance of family. Family is central to our happiness and central to Gods plan for us here on earth. This issue is extremely important to me because the strength of our society relies on the strength of individual families.
If you would like more information regarding this issue, here are a couple of websites I recommend. The first is www.protectmarriage.com which explains the details of Proposition 8 and how you can support it.
The second is a document called The Family: A Proclamation to the World. It was released by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to stress the importance of the Family. You can view it by clicking here.
Good luck AZ friends and family with your elections and prop 102!
4 comments:
Will and I have been talking a lot about Prop 8. It is amazing how the spirit has moved so many to people to be involved. I pray that it passes! Thank you for getting out there and spreading the word. What are most of the reactions that you get with the people that you talk to?
Almost every door I have knocked and phone call I have made has been in favor of prop 8. We are surrounded by Indian, Oriental, and Phillipino families and they are very family oriented.
It sure would be scary if it didn't pass!
Oh, I LOVE that you have gotten so involved in this - good for you! Thank you for being out there fighting on the front lines with this - you are right in the thick of this as we are all doing what we can from outside the CA area, but anxiously awaiting the results. As you, there isn't a lot that I've done politically, but this one has made a huge impression on me. We are praying for you, and for this to pass...I have faith that it will, but if not than I know that the work of the Lord will move forward, it will just be interesting to see how this will play out around the nation with families, education, marriages...everything. Bryson and I strongly feel that a lot of elements in the realm of public schooling also hangs on the outcome of this proposition. Best of luck!!
Amen Sister! I just read this post from ya...I am so thankful it passed but I know it is just the begining of the problems we will be facing. :) I pray we can continue to win over these immoral and horrific changes some people are trying to get passed. :I
Post a Comment