Sunday, February 12, 2012

Church in Nairobi

We landed in Nairobi on Saturday night at 11:00 PM and are still trying to adjust to the time change.  We found a ward (The Upper Hills Ward)  meeting at 10 AM on Sunday and actually found the building in time for Sacrament.  Apparently nobody has heard of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, so a lot of prayers were being said by me in the back of our little Toyota with a personal driver, as our driver was driving around looking for the building like a needle in a haystack. 
Church was fabulous.  Glad to report that the church is the same in Nairobi, Africa as it is in Mesa, AZ.  The people were friendly and fun to talk to.  They asked us to share our testimonies in sacrament meeting which was very humbling.  After sacrament I was drawn to the primary room where I stayed for the next two hours and got to listen to their sweet testimonies through songs and stories.  Boy did they have a lot to say!  They were so smart and knew all the aswers to all the questions their teachers asked, and they sang so beautifully. The opening song for primary was my favorite primary song called, "If I Had Been A Little Child".  I loved to hear their voices.  They were so polite and well behaved too.  
Here is a picture of the church building.  It was also the building for institute, Nairobi mission office, and the  geneology libary.  This was definately one of the highlights of the trip for me. BTW, this is Flat Stanley...Jake gave him to us to take with us on our trip for his kindergarten class!! :)

3 comments:

Michele said...

Amy you blend right in. :) So fun that you are in Africa! Keep the updates coming!

Becky said...

I commented before, but it didn't post somehow. Hmmm. I LOVE all the pictures and the posts! Thanks for remembering flat Stanley! ha! so cute! I love and miss you!
Becky

Unknown said...

I can't wait to show Russ these pictures, that's where he went on his mission almost 20 years ago! Have fun (you're still there right?)!!