This is Masai tribe meets orange county swap meet :)
AKA: Masai market place
On Sunday after church, our travel agent, Maggie took us for a tour of the city. We drove through the second largest slum in Nairobi. I did not take these pictures because I was too afraid to pull out my camera. Maggie told us to keep our windows rolled up and doors locked, and to keep any personal items out of sight. The people were obviously surviving day to day and doing what ever they can to feed their families. You can imagine how scared I was. My eyes were as wide as saucers and I was speechless. Maggie kept laughing at me asking if I was OK. She offered to take me on a walking tour of the slums the next day and I graciously declined.
These pics I downloaded from the internet, but this is exactly what we saw. These tin houses stacked together, gargabe piled high, and people everywhere. Our senses were on overload with all that there was to see and hear and the smell of burning trash was overwhelming.


3 comments:
Oh my gosh Amy! What a life experience you guys are having. I want to hear all about it. We really do need to get together. :-( I am sad it didn't work out before.
What an awesome experience! What were you doing in Africa? How long did you guys get to go for?
Amy- Oh my goodness. I'm loving that you are posting about your trip on here. Keep them coming!! I can't wait to hear about it all.
Post a Comment