Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Seriously? You have GOT to be kidding me...

It seems like those are the things I keep saying to myself lately. Now that I am able to think clearly and make complete sentences, I can tell you the story of the Johnson family over the past few weeks.

A week and a half ago, last monday morning my water broke, 2 months before my due date! I went to my Dr, they sent me to the hospital, and by that evening my contractions were 5 min. apart. :( It was SO SCARY! They put me on magnesium and transferred me to Stanford hospital in an ambulance. Poor Alex had to follow behind the ambulance and he'll tell you that was an experience he doesn't want to have again.

Seriously just writing this down is not fun to remember! It was such a scary day and night and next day!

Anyways, the magnesium worked its magic and stopped my labor, and here I sit almost 11 days later, still in a hospital bed keeping this baby boy or girl in my belly! Yes, we had a few ultrasounds and I told the techs, that I waited this long for a surprise, so please don't tell me if its a boy or a girl! :)

This Sunday I will be 34 weeks and the dr. scheduled me for an induction on Sunday morning at 9 AM! I am so excited to finally have a sweet little baby. It is going to be little too, probably 4 pounds, but the dr. says that after 2 weeks of broken water the baby will be better off outside than inside. We were able to get the full steroid shots while I was on mag, so the baby's lungs will hopefully be developed, plus it is 2 weeks bigger and better!

I am afraid we are still at the begining of this big adventure right now. Baby will be in the NICU for a while and well taken care of here at Stanford hospital. The Drs and neonatologists that come in to talk to me are so optimisitic about the baby being 34 weeks. It still sounds too little to me, but when they ask me how far along I am and I tell them 33 weeks, they make it sound like I am "out of the woods" for sure. Luckily I have great confidence in the doctors here. They have taken such great care of me so far and have one of the best children's hospitals in the nation.

Oh yeah... AND...We bought a house in Arizona and it just closed today! It's official! We were planning on driving down last Wed to sign papers and show the kids, but we stayed here instead and had the papers sent up here. We are so excited to be moving back home and close to family and friends. But we have some amazing friends and family here that we will miss dearly. The ones who are helping us through this time that we couldn't have made it this far without!

OK, this post is long enough, I will write more tomorrow about my adventures on mag, the power going out, and how much I love nurses!

11 comments:

Fellars Family said...

How scary! It sounds like you and the baby are in good hands. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

CL said...

I'm so glad you've been able to keep your baby in so long after your water broke! That's the same thing that happened to Jennifer Maner- she was on a trip in UT when it happened. Their little guy is home now so hopefully yours won't be in the NICU too long. Good luck these last few days- you guys are in our prayers.

Michele said...

Amy that is still so crazy to me! I'm glad you are at Stanford hospital though, sounds like you and baby will be taken care of! I'm so excited about your move too, that will be nice I'm sure to be close to family. Good luck this week! Love you!!

kim said...

That is so great that you've been able to hang on this long! And that you are so close to such a fantastic hospital. Good luck with the rest of this week!

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about you Amy. I am sure you are having every emotion possible - excited, nervous, missing your kids, etc. I can't wait to find out what the baby is and I am SOOOO EXCITED that you're moving back. That is the best news! Good luck with everything... I'll be praying for your family.

Emily Widdison said...

wow! I hope that baby bakes a little bit longer! congrats on the house...I wish we could move back to AZ---maybe someday:) We are in the process of buying a house too!

Unknown said...

Holy crap Amy!!!! How scary but how good you were able to make it two more weeks??? Those couple of weeks will make such a big difference. I am twenty-four weeks and can't wait to be done! Don't know if I would want to do what you have to be doing right now though. You are awesome!

I am so excited that you get to move home. I'll bet your family here is thrilled and we are too. Donelle is back here too!

Jessica said...

wow. that is crazy! i'm so glad you are at a good hospital and are in such good hands with the doctors (and nurses). we will be thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I bet that was scary. Glad the Dr's are optimistic and that the mag worked! Can't wait to hear what you are having. We'll pray for you guys.
I'm so excited you are moving to AZ! Hopefully now we will be able to get together when we visit family.

Sara! said...

Amy, you can do this! It will be rough, but seriously, 34 weeks is SO good! Go ahead and use all that the NICU has to offer... free snacks, free pumps, free rsv vaccines... etc.

I'm so excited you're moving back!

Sara said...

The Seipert's told me what was going on when I visited this weekend. Eek! But, I tell ya, my sister in a NICU nurse and just had her first baby. There is something magical about being close to the 34 week mark. She's seen it all, and being that far along, your sweet babe has great chances of being healthy and strong in the next month or so.
We are praying for you and your little one!